The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. **Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Debbie Macomber - a friend and great encouragement

A good writer is also a good reader.  Attend any writing class and you will hear those words.  I constantly feel like I'm behind on my reading.  Maybe it's because I always have a stack of good books that I know I'll get to sometime....but just haven't had time. 

We were all laughing too hard to make a good picture!
Debbie Jansen and Debbie Macomber
A few days ago I decided to move Debbie Macomber's book Knit Together up to the top. I sat at lunch with her a few years ago at the Mt. Hermon Christian Writers Conference.  What a joy!  She was so encouraging and a lot of fun to be with.  We laughed....we talked....and we cried.  I can still hear her saying, "We have the same name and that makes us forever friends!  Don't listen to the negative voices Debbie.  They just don't matter.  Follow your heart and your dream.  Don't give up."

I have an MP3 recording of her talks.  When I'm especially down I'll pull them out and drink in her inspiring words.  Talk about someone who had all the odds stacked against her....Debbie had an uphill climb.  Yet, she kept trying and kept pushing and now she's one of the biggest selling authors out there. 

Her book, Knit Together describes her challenges and her journey to success.  I hope you will purchase her book.  I promise you it will be a great source of strength for those challenging days that every writer faces. 

And if you aren't sure you want to pursue a full writing dream....get the book anyway.  It will encourage your life no matter what dream you have.

God loves you and has called you to write,

Debbie 

No comments: