The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. **Mark Twain

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Wasn't that mistake great!

Perhaps writing is the only craft where we can make mistakes with Joy!

I was fretting over my writing when a dear friend stepped in for an intervention.  "Don't worry so much about being perfect.  Instead, use a notebook to record all your mistakes."

I swiped at a tear forming in the corner of my eye.  "Why would I want to record my failures?"

"They aren't failures if you use them as a training tool for improvement.  You are a smart gal.  If you make a mistake once....are you going to make it again?"

I thought about it for a moment.  All the mistakes I'd made when I first started writing have diminished because of the new thought process I use that filters everything through checkpoints.  "Hum....I guess you are right.  I don't make the mistakes I once made."  It didn't take long for me to roll my eyes and continue...."Now I make new ones."

"Yes, but once they go in your notebook they will become tools for learning and probably mistakes of the past.  How else are you going to grow?"

I smiled.  I hugged her neck.  And today I checked my notebook.  It includes a lot of mistakes....that I don't make anymore.

I hope you will take your negatives and turn them into positive writing tools.

God loves you and has called you to write,

Debbie

No comments: