The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. **Mark Twain

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A safe encouraging friend

We all know that writing is hard.  Just when you think you are on a roll and the ideas are coming fast and furious - something happens and your creativity comes to a screeching halt. 

Maybe the children are sick or your husband didn't get that raise.  Maybe you receive that dreaded rejection notice or you find out your pastor is leaving.  The worst of all is when an "un-safe" friend whose only read two books in her life decides to tell you all the things she felt was wrong with your last published work.  Her opinion shouldn't be that important and yet...today....it reaches into your life and turns off all your creativity. 

You begin to ask yourself if writing is worth it.  You begin to question if you can complete your goals.  That one little bud of doubt has encouraged an entire garden of fears. 

When you feel this way, you need a drummer.  A friend that will beat the drum of encouragement and keep your eyes focused on your goal.  You need a safe encouraging friend to counterbalance the fears you face.  Every writer should have at least one encouraging friend - outside relative status -  that can keep you motivated.  I am blessed to have several of those types of friends.  Each of them seem to sense when I'm down.  They don't call and keep me on the phone for hours or try to counsel or talk me out of my doldrums.  Instead, they send me a ray of sunshine by e-mail. 

"Thinking of you today.  I love your writing."

"Keep it up Debbie.  I know it must be hard but I love your work."

"I was praying for you.  I know it must be hard working like you do - and most of it for free.  Just want you to know that I appreciate all your writings.  They mean so much to my life."

Each one of those precious friends share in any success I may have.  Their encouragement has kept me going when I wanted to quit.

It's a chilly day with gray clouds and rain.  I'm staring at a desk covered in piles of papers and red important stickers that announce - "Do me first!"  We've just returned from a hard and difficult trip.  I have to have a root canal and dentists scare me.   I was praying for God's strength when I received the following e-mail.

Jeremiah 29:11


"for I know the plans I have for YOU," declares the LORD..."


Never give the devil a ride, he will want to take over the driving.


Dear Woman of God


Be still for a while and praise God for His favor, His grace and His awesomeness


God is able to do the impossible and is always near.   He loves us unconditionally.
Dear God:   This is my friend, whom I love and this is my prayer for her

"Help her live her life to the fullest.  Please promote her and cause her to excel above her expectations.


Help her to shine in the darkest places where it is impossible to love.  Protect her at all times, lift her up when she needs you the most, and let her know when she walks with you, She will always be safe."


Love you Girl!


It is very important that writers cultivate safe and encouraging friends.  Thank you Pat for your encouragement today!  God bless you!

God loves you and has called you to write,

Debbie

No comments: